Farrington’s Pick You Own Tulips are nearly here for 2023. It’s one of our favourite times of year, when our site is greeted with a flurry of beautiful colour and we know spring has arrived. Our tulips were planted at the end of December by Owners Tish and Andy and Farmer Ross. After they are planted it’s a waiting game, they usually start
to bloom in April but of course this is totally dependant on the weather. We choose mixed boxes of tulips from our supplier in the Netherlands so it’s always a surprise what varieties we have when they start to grow. Here are some of the varieties of tulips we have had in the past:
1. Single Early Tulips: These are the earliest blooming tulips, and they usually have a single-layered cup-shaped flower. They come in a variety of colours, including red, pink, yellow, and white.
2. Triumph Tulips: These are mid-season tulips that have a classic tulip shape, with a pointed cup-shaped flower. They come in a wide range of colours.
3. Darwin Hybrid Tulips: These tulips are large and showy, with bold colours and sturdy stems. They bloom in mid-season and are often used in garden displays.
4. Parrot Tulips: These tulips have ruffled, fringed petals that resemble a parrot's feathers. They come in a range of colours and are often used in flower arrangements.
5. Fringed Tulips: These tulips have feathery, fringed petals that give them a unique appearance. They come in a range of colours and bloom in mid-season.
6. Lily-Flowered Tulips: These tulips have slender, pointed petals that resemble a lily. They come in a range of colours and are often used in garden displays.
7. Rembrandt Tulips: These tulips have streaks or flames of a different colour on their petals, giving them a unique appearance. They were originally created by a virus that caused the colour variation, but modern Rembrandt tulips are bred to have this effect.
We can’t wait to see you at this years pick your own tulip event which is near Bath, Bristol and Somerset so is always popular. Keep an eye on our website for tickets that will be coming soon!